Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Les Izmore


This is part of the extensive trail network in Sun River, OR. I lived about 7 weeks a year here during my 4 year feldenkrais training.
It was one of the cheapest short-term housing alternatives for a group in the Bend area.
...
I spent hours after class walking or biking these trails. Occasionally crossing paths with the local deer herds or the wandering coyotes keeping a wary eye on me keeping a wary eye on them.
...
Often I was alone on a trail in the middle of nowhere left to contemplate my simple existence while on this simple trail through the simple woods, next to a simple river, with simple mountains off in the distance.
..
One thing I've learned about simplicity is that having less doesn't necessarily mean enjoying less. I can learn to be more efficient with what I have, this is of course assuming that base needs are met.
...
There is a reasoning for why we often say during lessons to do less. Make the range smaller, the speed slower, less repetitious. This is in hopes that you learn to discern differences better.
...
In scientific circles it's called the Weger-Fechner Effect...
... the less stimulus applied to a subject, the easier it is to measure change.
.
Eg: a weightlifter is holding up a 200lb barbell, someone adds a feather to one end. Or the same weightlifter is still standing but without anything in his hands, someone adds a feather to his hand.
.
Which scenario above is he more apt to note a change in weight?
.
.
For more on the Feldenkrais Method® you can go to:

Erik LaSeur
Guild Certified Feldenkrais Teacher®

No comments: