Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Appreciate

This is day 14 of the #reverb10 writing project:
http://www.reverb10.com/the-prompts/

Today's prompt:

December 14 – Appreciate
What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it? (Author: Victoria Klein)



That's one of my hearing aids. This past year I've gotten used to wearing these newer technology hearing aids.
In short, they've changed my life substantially.
Now I can go to meetings and hear what people are saying.
Most people are used to being able to hear conversations...
me...it's been a lifetime of living in a hearing-challenged world.

As I get used to wearing these and interacting with the world, I've become much more aware of how deaf I really am...
when I don't have the aids in, or if one is not functioning at 100%.

So this year I've become much more appreciative of what hearing I have,
what vision I have,
what abilities I have to touch, and feel, and think.

This probably happens to most, if not all of us as we get older (I'll be 50 in 9 months). We start to take stock of what we have, where we've been, what we've accomplished.

Me...I appreciate that with technology I can hear birds singing in the trees, I previously didn't know they existed because I didn't hear them.

The simple things in life are the best.

Erik

http://www.alkimoves.com/

No comments: