Friday, December 10, 2010

Wisdom

This is Day 10 of the #reverb10 writing project.

December 10 – Wisdom Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out? (Author: Susannah Conway)


In this past year I've made a lot of decisions, mostly business.
It's too early to tell how many will play out as it is a process.

Perhaps the wisest decision I made this year was to embrace my wife's (then girlfriend) kids and become a father to them. Mostly to help guide the youngest in his growth.

It's been a challenging year on that front.
I had no experience being a dad, other than to a dog.
He already spent most of his life without a father and had no guiding post.

I've learned a lot about being a parent in the past year that relates to running a business:
Patience - Need to allow things to roll, get out of the way often.
Perseverance - Knowing what I want, or the outcomes I perceive to be beneficial, I'll often have to reiterate the behavior that is acceptable. Similar to a verbal group lesson, I can't ask them to slow down enough times!
Plan - Having a plan, whether it's for marketing the business or how to deal with behavior that we want to change, is important.

My wife will say I'm a natural at being a dad, but I'll say it's been a serious learning curve for me.

Yes to making tough choices and to learning new things!

Erik

http://www.alkimoves.com/

No comments: